Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What to do?

So I met with my boss yesterday and finally got up the nerve to ask if I could work 4 10-hour days. I presented the benefits to the office, and how there would be no harm and got a "don't get your hopes up" response. He will talk to the VP and AVP and OHR to see what their thoughts are and I can only hope he makes a convincing argument. All I know, is that if he doesn't, and my request is denied, then I am royally screwed. My mom is generously arranging her schedule to cover 3 days a week, and hubby is arranging his schedule to cover 1 day a week, and I just don't know what to do for that other day. We could afford a babysitter at $8 an hour for one day a week, but who in their right mind would do that? Heck, even the local labour center for undocumented workers charges $10! We can't afford $10!

I ran the numbers:

Our bills (Mortgage - 1295, BGE - 200, Student loans - 530, credit card - 200, fica payback - 100, car payment - 350, insurance - 220, cell phone - 70, water bill - 25)
total: 2992 (keeping in mind that the mortgage will go up around the same time the credit card and fica are paid off.)

Bills that can be cut (ezpass - 45, gym - 50, verizon - 183)
total: 278

Food (817)
& Gas (120)

This is a total of 4207 a month for just the two of us, and not including savings, or medical expenses, or vet bills or any of that.

Each month our combined income is 4487 on average. that means we have 280 to use for everything else. That would barely cover a sitter at 8 an hour for one day a week as long as nothing else changes.

oh it makes my stomach hurt. I mean, right now we're not doing too bad. We manage to save a little each month (about 200) and we both contribute to 401Ks pretax. I can probally sign up for a flex spending plan to cover the bbsitter pretax.

Hubby was super pissed when I told him that I probally won't be able to get a flexible schedule. I mean, in this day and age of work/life balance, it really sucks when a college won't allow their employee to arrange their schedule differently. And I can't look for a job because I'm a wee bit knocked up right now, so I'm stuck. His thought is to just bring the baby to work with me. Ugh. I have no idea what to do...

No comments: