Monday, January 26, 2009

1st Trimester Screen

So today we went to the Doctor (whom I hope our insurance covers) for our first trimester screen. We were having a combined screen, with blood work and nuchal fold translucency. I woke up early, had a full bladder, and was ready to role. The hospital is SUCH a maze! We finally got where we wanted to be, had a little finger stick for the blood test (not bad) and then got to have the ultrasound. First, let me say how cute my baby is!! We saw its profile, and its little nose, and its little fingers and toes and feet and hands and arms and legs and heartbeat (165 bpm) and it measured at 6.12 cm. The fun was trying to get the baby to bounce so we could get a good measurement. Apparently, the baby wasn't listening. It was just happily going along on its 10 minutes sleep/wake cycle, and couldn't care less what we wanted it to do. It would bounce as soon as the probe was in the wrong place. Silly baby. The challenge is having someone push on your uterus while you REALLY have to pee, so they let me let some out which felt so much better. Still, it was awfully entertaining to be able to watch the screen and see the little baby wave and put its hand in its mouth. Its funny that all this movement is happening and I can't feel a thing! But I'm watching the screen and just falling in love with the little alien in my belly.

Which made it harder when the doctor told me that the nuchal fold was measuring a little big. She said not to worry, and once the blood work came back they would send it all to my OB for my full risk factor. It is entirely possible that there is still a low risk. And regardless of group, there is still a chance that everything will be fine. I'm SO happy I only have to wait until Tuesday to find out. I feel surprisingly calm about it. Perhaps because I'm SO tired now that the adreneline is worn off. Or that there is so much to worry about this week that has nothing to do with the baby. Or just that I have faith in G-d that we are going to get the baby that is right for us. Or just that there is nothing to worry about until Tuesday. We shall wait and see....

No comments: