Monday, August 11, 2008

And the diagnosis is...

PCOD. Poly-Cystic Ovarian Disorder. Whoda thunk it? I'm officially a member of the infertile club. What I find particularly interesting is just how much sense it makes. I mean, I called my mom afterwards to tell her and her response was, "Oh, that's what I have!" I was like, wuh?! When I was in H.S. my mom went in to the hospital for what she thought was appendicitis and turned out to be an ovarian cyst. She had trouble conceiving due to erratic periods and had always blamed it on the pill. Well, it makes sense that she has always had PCOD. Other symptoms of PCOD include acne (I have it on my back, my mom had cystic acne everywhere) and IBS (which my mom and I both have to varying degrees.) I don't have excessive body hair, which is a symptom, which is why I would brush it off as a diagnosis. I also don't have a problem with weight. (My mom does in the underweight side of the scale.) So I got a bunch of blood drawn, and 8 days after I ovulate (G*d knows when that will happen) I have to get another blood test. Meanwhile, the hubby also had blood tests and will have a S.A. done. Once all of this is complete, then its back to the doctor for next steps. I'm seeing Clomid in my future, but I'm nervous since BCP's made me depressed and I'm nervous about hormonal intervention, but if it is what it takes then I'm going for it.

So while I'm patiently waiting to O, I need to continue with my Cardio and cut out refined sugar. Apparently refined sugar makes PCOD worse. (Something about excessive insulin, combined with ovaries = testosterone which = later ovulation.) Hmmm... maybe I should stop eating my yogurt which contains 14g of Sugar from High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Anyhoo, the Doc says that she is optimistic since I DO ovulate, and now we just need to figure out how well I ovulate. With intervention, if I'm not pregnant in 3 months, then we will move on to the next step. Still, 3 months? That's pretty cool! Of course, for me 3 cycles could actually mean 5-6 months.

It's bound to be an interesting ride...so here we go........

No comments: